Obituaries Space is available for obituaries of residents and former residents.
• An “In Memoriam” column is available free of charge. Limited to name, mutual number and date of death.
• An obituary with or without photo is available free of charge for the first 250 words. Additional words will be charged at the rate of 20¢ per word. Notices written by the news staff will be free and no more than 250 words.
• Notices from mortuaries and non-GRF members will be printed exactly as submitted and charged at the non-member classified advertising rate, $10.45 for the first 12 words and 20¢ for each additional word.
• Bordered, decorative obituaries and eulogies are available in any size at the prevailing display advertising rate.
• Obituaries may be published as news articles when the person has been a member of the Golden Rain Foundation Board of Directors, or when, in the opinion of the managing editor, the passing of a person is newsworthy to a sufficiently large number of GRF members.
• A “Card of Thanks” section is available in the classified section of the News at the member classified advertising rate, $6.60 for the first 12 words and 20¢ per word thereafter, for persons wanting to express their thanks for help during bereavement, sickness, etc.
Smith, Helen A.
Helen A. Smith, 88, Mutual 2, died peacefully in her sleep on Feb. 10, 2014, in Quartz Hills, Calif.
Helen was born Oct. 4, 1925, in Clinton, Tenn., to Lonas Armes and Cora Davis. She was raised in South Carolina by her grandparents.
Helen married Clarence “Smitty” Smith on June 15, 1944, in Charleston, S.C.
They moved to California in 1947, and also lived in Hawaii from 1952-1953. They returned to San Francisco in 1954, before settling down in Ridgecrest, Calif., from 1955-1980.
Helen was an office clerk and rental manager.
She married Melvin Warnock on Nov. 22, 1975 in Ridgecrest.
She moved to Leisure World in 2001.
Helen was preceded in death by her husband, Smitty, on Dec. 14, 1966.
She is survived by her son, Jeriel “Buck” (Jerry Ann) Smith, 68;daughter, Gayle Smith, 64; grandchildren , Jennifer Vander-Smith, 35; David Vander-Smith, 31; and Alex Smith, 27; and Tom Otto, 47.
Private family services will be held in Ridgecrest.
Colleen Stimmell 84
Marie Apodaca 94
Charles Wolejko 60
Corine Waggoner 85
Marie Armenta 66
Rosa Menendez 77
Rosetta James 72
Bettie Chavous 83
Clermont Rodrique 86
Kapeli Passi Jr 56
Edgar Pereira 46
Ruth Peters 91
Marjorie Schouweiler 82
Edgar Pereira 46
Families assisted by