Obituaries Space is available for obituaries of residents and former residents.
• An “In Memoriam” column is available free of charge. Limited to name, mutual number and date of death.
• An obituary with or without photo is available free of charge for the first 250 words. Additional words will be charged at the rate of 20¢ per word. Notices written by the news staff will be free and no more than 250 words.
• Notices from mortuaries and non-GRF members will be printed exactly as submitted and charged at the non-member classified advertising rate, $10.45 for the first 12 words and 20¢ for each additional word.
• Bordered, decorative obituaries and eulogies are available in any size at the prevailing display advertising rate.
• Obituaries may be published as news articles when the person has been a member of the Golden Rain Foundation Board of Directors, or when, in the opinion of the managing editor, the passing of a person is newsworthy to a sufficiently large number of GRF members.
• A “Card of Thanks” section is available in the classified section of the News at the member classified advertising rate, $6.60 for the first 12 words and 20¢ per word thereafter, for persons wanting to express their thanks for help during bereavement, sickness, etc.
Edith M. Palomares
Edith M. (Charlton) Palomares, 93, died Feb. 14, 2014.
A native of Stanley, N.Y., she was the youngest daughter born to John Charlton and Emma Flinn, and moved to Long Beach, Calif., in 1943, to serve her country as a member of the Army during WWII.
Following the war, she remained in Long Beach to work at the VA hospital and raise her daughter, Peggy, with her husband, Vincent J. Palomares.
During the 39 years she lived in Leisure World, she was an active member of the American Legion.
She is survived by her grandchildren, Kristin and Jeff Nichelini; son-in-law, Allen Nichelini; niece, Martha Parks Yasses; and great-niece, Sarah Yasses.
Services were conducted by Stricklin Snively Mortuary, on Feb. 24. Burial service was at Forest Lawn Cypress, Calif.
Please sign the guestbook at www.pres.s telegram.com/obits.
Jackson, Donald Richard
Donald Richard Jackson, 82, of Seal Beach, Calif., Leisure World, Mutual 8, passed away Feb. 4, 2014, at Los Alamitos Medical Center in Los Alamitos, Calif.
Don was born May 11, 1931, in Ft. Wayne, Ind., one of 10 children born to Hugh S. and Ruth O. Jackson. He graduated from New Haven High School in Ft. Wayne, class of 1949.
Don moved to Southern California to further his education. He graduated from California State, Long Beach, with a bachelor’s of arts and sciences degree in 1962. He taught in the Gardena Unified School District for many years before retirement.
After retiring from teaching, Don moved to Leisure World in 1992, where he worked in real estate.
He was very active in the Leisure World Chorale, singing in most of its performances until his health prevented him from doing so. He loved to travel and will be most remembered for his outgoing nature and of putting others before himself.
Don is survived by his four siblings, Virginia Crick, Laura Mae Schey, Jim Jackson and Albert Jackson; his god-son, Scotty Jackson Ho; and many nieces and nephews.
Private family services will be held.
Muriel Wehrman 82
Linda Sonday 74
Ben Parks 73
Robert Hart 98
Elizabeth Holsomback 53
Norma Bennett 81
Helen Thompson 66
Maria Finnerty 52
Diana Wilcox 57
Consuelo Tovar 85
Roberta Lester 74
Helen Mulligan 87
Families assisted by