Space is available for obituaries of residents and former residents.
• An “In Memoriam” column is available free of charge. Limited to name, mutual number and date of death.
• An obituary with or without photo is available free of charge for the first 250 words. Additional words will be charged at the rate of 20¢ per word. Notices written by the news staff will be free and no more than 250 words.
• Notices from mortuaries and non-GRF members will be printed exactly as submitted and charged at the non-member classified advertising rate, $10.45 for the first 12 words and 20¢ for each additional word.
• Bordered, decorative obituaries and eulogies are available in any size at the prevailing display advertising rate.
• Obituaries may be published as news articles when the person has been a member of the Golden Rain Foundation Board of Directors, or when, in the opinion of the managing editor, the passing of a person is newsworthy to a sufficiently large number of GRF members.
• A “Card of Thanks” section is available in the classified section of the News at the member classified advertising rate, $6.60 for the first 12 words and 20¢ per word thereafter, for persons wanting to express their thanks for help during bereavement, sickness, etc.
Bobby Locke 78
Gary McCracken 69
Linda Sonday 74
Delfino Mendez-Rodriguez 78
Philip Reilly 73
Narciso Neri 64
Anastasia Hahalis 44
Theresa Escareno 85
Thelma Sharkey 80
Ralph Hill 86
Jerry Maddux Jr. 75
Families assisted by
Sophie Giebler, 97, Mutual 9, passed away on Jan. 19, 2014.
Sophie was born on Oct. 1, 1916, in Los Angeles, Calif., to Max and Bertha Scheid.
She married Neil Giebler on June 28, 1936, in Los Angeles.
Sophie worked as an office manager. She moved to Leisure World in 2004 from Downey, Calif.
In LW she enjoyed playing bingo and bunco, and enjoyed the summer music concerts. She also enjoyed gardening, animals, especially cats, and playing cards.
Sophie was preceded in death by her husband, Neil, on March 5, 2001, and her children, Karl and Kristina.
She is survived by her grandchildren, Kira Spyrison, Andrew Reichel and Anthony Reichel; and great-grandchildren, Izabella Reichel, Katelyn Reichel and Robert Reichel.
A memorial service, officiated by Chaplain Donna Baranyay, will be held Saturday, March 1, at noon in Clubhouse 3, Room 2.
Her ashes were spread at sea.
Cornelius “Neil” Edward Dolan
Cornelius “Neil” Edward Dolan, Sr., passed away on Feb. 13, 2014, at his home in Seal Beach, Calif.
Neil was born in Utica, N.Y., to Ella and James Dolan, the seventh of eight children. When he was young, Neil and his family moved to New Jersey where he lived until he retired and moved to the mountains of Pennsylvania.
Neil served in the Navy in WWII and could often be seen wearing his retired Navy sweatshirt and his DDS Benson 442 hat. He was very proud of his military service and took great joy when anyone acknowledged him by shaking his hand and thanking him for his service to his country.
He survived by his son Richard; daughters, Roberta Revetta and Peggie Dolan Aono; grandchildren, Mark Revetta, Christine Revetta Myette and Andrew Aono; great-grandsons, Garhett and Brett Revetta; and his wonderful caregivers, Noelia, Wilfredo and Jhovany Ortiz.
Neil is predeceased by his wife of 54 years, Margaret Mary (nee) Scullion and his sons Peter Damien, Cornelius Jr. and David Joseph.
A memorial Mass will be held today, Feb. 20, at 10 a.m. at Holy Family Church, Leisure World.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to So Cal Hospice Foundation, 3200 Park Center Drive, Suite 250, Costa Mesa, CA, 92626.